Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ O ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Oak Creek, P.O., in town of same name, Milwaukee County, town 5 N., of range 22 E.

Oak, Creek, a small tributary of Lake Michigan, from near the town line between the towns of Lake and Oak Creek, in Milwaukee County.

Oak Creek, Town, in county of Milwaukee, being town 5 N., of range 22 E.; centrally located, 10 miles from Milwaukee. The population in 1850 was 1,289. It has 7 school districts.

Oakfield, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 14 N., of range 16 E., centrally located, 10 miles southwest from Fond du Lac. The population in 1850 was 588. It has 8 school districts.

Oakfield, P. O., in town of same name, on section 27, in Fond du Lac County, 12 miles southwest from Fond du Lac, and 80 northeast from Madison, on the head waters of Rock River, in a good farming region.

Oak Grove, P.V., in town of same name, Dodge County, on sections 31 and 32, town 11 N., of range 15 E.

Oak Grove, Town, (formerly Fairfield), in county of Dodge, being town 11 N., of range 15 E. Population in 1850 was 1,148. It has 10 school districts.

Oak Hill, P. V., in Jefferson County.

Oak Land, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 6 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 8 miles west from Jefferson. Population in 1850 was 806. It has 4 school districts.

Oasis, Town, in county of Waushara, being town 20 N., of ranges 8 and 9; centrally located, 25 miles northwest from Sacramento.

Oasis, P. V., on section 33, in town of same name, being town 20 N., of range 9, in Waushara county; 30 miles northwest from Sacramento, and 80 miles north of Madison, on the stage road, from Madison, via Fort Winnebago, to Plover Portage.

Ocha-sun-sepa, River, a tributary from the northeast of Courterielle River, in La Pointe County.

Ockee, Creek, rises in Lowville, Columbia County, and runs nearly west, emptying into the Wisconsin.

O'Clair, River, L'eau St. Claire, in Chippewa County, a branch of Chippewa river from the E., in town 27 N., of range 9 W.

Oconomowoc, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 8 N., of range 17 E.; centrally located, 20 miles northwest from Waukesha. Population in 1850 was 1,218.

Oconomowoc, P. V., on section 33, in town of same name, 18 miles northwest of Waukesha, and 50 east from Madison, on the great mail route from Milwaukee to Galena; also on the Milwaukee and Watertown plank road. Population 250, with 60 dwellings, 10 stores, 3 hotels, 1 grist mill, 1 saw mill, 1 oil mill, 2 turning lathes, 1 saleratus factory, and a good supply of mechanics and professional men; also 1 Methodist and 1 Episcopal church. It is beautifully situated on a neck of land between La Belle and Fowler's Lakes, and is surrounded by a fertile farming district.

Oconomowoc, Creek, rises in the town of Polk, Washington County, and running southwest, passes through a succession of small and beautiful lakes, enters Rock River in the south part of Ixonia, Jefferson County.

Oconomowoc, Lake, is on the river and in town of same name, about half way between the village of Oconomowoc and Okauchee. It is nearly 2 miles long.

Oconto, County, is bounded on the north by the State line, on the east by the middle of Green Bay and a portion of Brown, on the south by Brown and Outagamie, and on the west by Waupacca and Marathon. It was set off and established from Brown, February 6, 1851, and organized for county purposes April 7, 1858. The principal rivers are Pishtego, Oconto, Pensaukee and Little Suamico. The judicial connection of Oconto is with Brown, and representative with Outagamie. The chief product of this county, thus far, has been pine lumber, which is produced in great quantities; but little is known of its agricultural advantages.

Oconto, Town, including the whole of Oconto County. It has 5 school districts.

Oconto, Bank, near the mouth of Oconto River, in Green Bay.

Oconto, River, rises near the head waters of Wolf River, and running southeast, enters Green Bay in town 28 N of range 22 E.

Oenca, P. O., in Jefferson County.

Ogalla, P. V., at the mills near the mouth of the Eau Galla River in Chippewa County.

Okauchee, Lake, (or Kauchee), is on the Oconomowoc creek, in the eastern part of town of Oconomowoc, at the outlet of which are mills and a settlement formerly known as "Reed's Mills," "Hurd's Mills," and "McCormack's Mills."

Okauchee, P. V. 3 at outlet of lake of same name, in Oconomowoc Waukesha County.

Omeo, P. V., on section 17 and 18, in town of Bloomingdale Winnebago County, at the junction of the Manitowoc and Menasha, (extended), and the Waupun and Liberty Prairie plank roads. It is pleasantly situated on the south side of the Neenah River, 11 miles west from Oshkosh, and 75 miles northeast from Madison. It has a heavy body of timber on the north, with a rich soil of openings and prairie on the south, and has excellent facilities by water for obtaining pine logs from the immense pinery of Wolf River, a great quantity of which is here manufactured into lumber. Population 600 with 100 dwellings, 5 stores, 2 hotels, 3 mills, and 4 religions denominations. A Company has been organized and is now completing the proper buildings for the manufacture of glass.

Omro, Town, (formerly Bloomingdale,) in county of Winnebago, being town 18 N, of range 18 E.

Oneida, P. V., in Brown County, on Duck creek, near center of Oneida Reservation.

O'Neil's, Creek, a small tributary of Black River from the east, in town 24 N.

One Mile, Creek, a tributary in Sauk County, of the Lemonwier River.

Oneonta, P. O., in Sauk County.

Onion River, P. V., in county of Sheboygan.

Onion, River, rises in Holland, Sheboygan County, runs northerly, and unites with Sheboygan River, just below the Falls.

Ontario, Town, in the county of Waushara, being town 20 N., of ranges 11, 12 and 13, north of Sacramento.

O'Plaine, River, rises in the southern part of Racine County, and runs southerly, through the county of Kenosha, into the State of Illinois, uniting with Kankakee River of Indiana, at Dresden and the Pishtaka at Ottawa, forms the head waters of the Illinois river. The Indian name is She-shik-ma-o.

Oregon, Town, in county of Dane, being town 5 N., of range 9 E.; centrally located, 12 miles south from Madison. Population in 1850 was 638. It has 9 school districts.

Oregon, P. V., on section 12, in town of same name, 12 miles south from Madison, on Janesville stage road, on the head waters of Badfish creek, equidistant from Sugar and Catfish Rivers. It has 55 inhabitants, 9 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, and 8 religious denominations, Presbyterian, Methodist and United Brethren.

Orion, P. V., in the town of Richmond, Richland County, being town 9 N., of range 1 E.

Osborn, P. O., in town of Porter, Bock County, on section 31, town 4 N., of range 11 E.

Oshauxuta, P. V., (Hill's Corners), on section 10, town 11 N., of range 9, in Columbia County. It is 7 miles from Fort Winnebago, and 30 miles from Madison. Population 100, with 12 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, and 1 religious denomination.

Osceola, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 14 N., of range 19 E. It has 3 school districts.

Oshkosh, Town, in county of Winnebago, being town 18 N., of range 16 E.

Oshkosh, P. V., on section 24 of town of same name, and county seat of Winnebago County. It is 84 miles north from Madison, 8 miles below the junction of Fox and Wolf Rivers, and where these waters empty into Lake Winnebago. The State Land Offices are located at this place. Population, 2,500; with 6 hotels, 6 mills, 1 candle factory, 1 foundry, 1 threshing machine factory, 3 butchers, 2 breweries, 1 pump manufactory, 2 barrel and 2 wagon shops, 1 shingle and 2 sash factories, 1 tannery, 5 blacksmiths, 9 dry goods, 1 drug, 2 hardware, 2 clothing, and 4 boot and shoe stores, 10 groceries, 2 bakeries, 5 warehouses, 1 book-bindery, 1 academy, and 3 newspapers. There are 3 religious denominations, Episcopal, Methodist and Catholic.

Oshtigwan, Lake, in Marathon County, tributary to the Little Wisconsin, a few miles above its mouth. It is near the 45° 30' north latitude.

Oshtigwan, River, near the outlet of Lake of the same name.

Ossin, River, rises in Washington County, and runs W., emptying into Lake Horicon, in Dodge County.

Otsego, P. V., in town of same name, in Columbia County, on section 22, town 11 N., of range 11 E.

Otsego, Town, in county of Columbia, being town 11 N., of range 11 W.; centrally located, 15 miles southeast from Portage. Population in 1850 was 420. It has 5 school districts.

Ottawa, P. V., in town of same name, on section 34, Waukesha County.

Ottawa, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 6 N., of range 17 E.; centrally located, 15 miles west from Waukesha. Population in 1850 was 793. It has 6 school districts.

Ottawa, Lake, La Pointe County, see Lake Court-eoreille.

Otter, Creek, a branch from the south of L'eau Claire River, in town 27 K, of range 9 W.

Otter, Creek, in Bad Ax County, is a small tributary of Kickapoo River.

Otter, Creek, is a small stream rising near Mineral Point, in Iowa County, running southerly, emptying into the Peckatonnica at Otterborne, in the northwest corner of town 2 N., of range 4 E.

Otter, Creek, rises in town 11 N, of range 8 E., and running south, enters the Wisconsin about 4 miles below Lower Sauk.

Otter, Creek, rises in the town of Lima, Rock County, and runs northwest, enters Koskonong Lake.

Otter, Lake, is a small lake in the northeast corner of the town of Sugar Creek. It is about 2 miles long.

Outagamie, County, is bounded on the north by Oconto and a portion of Waupacca, east by Brown, south by Calumet and Winnebago, and west by Waupacca, and is 24 miles north and south by 27 miles east and west. It was established Feb. 17, 1851, from Brown, to which it remained attached for judicial purposes until March 15, 1852, when it was completely organized. The boundaries were defined March 4, 1852. The seat of justice is about half way between the villages of Appleton and Grand Chute, and about a mile from each. The general surface of the county is level and covered with a heavy growth of timber, such N as maple, elm, ash and hickory, with but little or no waste lands. The soil is good, but the agricultural existence of the county is so recent, little can be said of its capabilities. All the crops that have been tested here have succeeded beyond the expectations of the farmer. The population, now numbering about 4,000, is com-posed of good, rural, and industrious settlers, mostly from New England and New York. It is watered by the Lower Fox on the southeast and by Wolf River on the west, and Duck Creek on the northeast. This county belongs to the fourth judicial circuit, to the second senate, and to the third congressional districts, and with Oconto, constitutes an assembly district. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Judge, Perry H. Smith; Sheriff, A. B. Everts; Clerk of Court, H. S. Eggleston; Attorney, A. S. Sanborn; Register of Deeds, J. S. Buck; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, G. W. Gregory; Treasurer, Robert Morrow; Surveyor, Chas. Turner; Coroner, Patrick Hunt.

Oxford, Town, in county of Marquette, being town 15 N., of range 8.

Ozauker, C. H. & P.V., see Port Washington.

Ozaukee, County, was set off from Washington at the session of the legislature in January 1853. It comprises all of that portion of said county east of range 20. For a description of this county, see Washington County.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.