Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ M ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Mackford, Town, in county of Marquette. It has 8 school districts, Madison, Town, in county of Dane, being town 7 N., of range 9 E. The population in 1850 was 1,871. It has 4 school districts.

Madison, Village, the capital of Wisconsin, and seat of justice of the county of Dane, is situated on sections 13, 14, 23 and 24, in town of same name, at the geographical centre of the county, and midway between Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River, being about 80 miles from each. It is widely noted for the beauty, health and pleasantness of its location, which is on an isthmus about one mile in width, lying between the Third and Fourth Lakes. The surface is somewhat uneven, but in no place too abrupt for building purposes. From either lake it rises to an altitude of about fifty feet, and is then depressed and elevated alternately, making the site of the village a series of gently undulating swells. The State house, a substantial edifice of lime-stone, is built, at the corners of the sections, in the centre of a square park, containing fourteen acres, covered with a luxuriant growth of native oaks, and upon the highest point between the lake, overlooking each and the surrounding village. It has a large hall through the centre, and contains all of the State offices, the state library, the legislative chambers, and several committee rooms. The corners of the Capitol square are to the cardinal points of the compass, and from each of them a street extends, terminating, excepting the western, in the water. The streets are all straight, sixty-six feet wide, and, with the exception of those just described, are parallel to the sides of the Capitol square, and, consequently, diagonal with the meridian. From the centre of each side of the park, and at right angles with it and the principal streets, broad avenues, eight rods wide, extend completely across the town plat At the termination of the street leading from the western corner of the park, and one mile directly west from the Capitol, on College Hill, near the shore of Fourth Lake, and in the middle of a park of fifty-five acres, commanding an extensive view of the town, lakes, and surrounding country, the buildings of the University of Wisconsin are located. Near the southern corner of the Capitol square, the Court House of Dane County, a large structure of lime-stone, containing commodious rooms for courts and county officers, is built. About a mile from the northern corner of the Capitol park, on the shore of Fourth Lake, at its outlet, is the best flouring mill in the State, and other machinery, owned by L. J. Farwell, present Governor of Wisconsin. Near the eastern corner of the square, the Post Office, Bank, Hotels, Stores, and other business stands, are located. The site of the town was located as early as 1833 by James Duane Doty, afterwards Governor of the Territory, and more recently Member of Congress; and the village plat was made out by his direction in 1836. A large addition to this plat was laid out in 1850, near the University, known as the "University Addition." Another addition has just been surveyed, on the northeast, by Governor Farwell, by whom it is owned. Several causes operated to retard the prosperity of Madison until 1847, since which time it has gradually and healthfully increased in growth, wealth, and population. Several rail roads are in progress of construction to this place, one at least of which will be completed during the present year, and the others soon after. From its location in the centre of a large agricultural district, having no important rival within a circle of forty miles, and being the permanent Capital of the State, and the seat of the richly endowed University, Madison has special advantages that cannot fail to make it a commanding business point, and a large and flourishing town. To the man of business, the merchant and manufacturer, there are offered great inducements to settle in this thriving and rapidly increasing community. The retired merchant, the student the lover of the picturesque seeking a healthy and pleasant location for a home, is presented the refreshing breezes and pure air of the lakes the beautiful scenery, unrivalled in any country the quiet of a country residence, united with the social advantages and the excitements of a city, while the great abundance of game in the prairies and openings, and the variety of fish in the lakes and streams, afford a relaxation to all in pursuit of health or pleasure. As the Capital of the State, the shire town of the county, it becomes the great centre of public business, calling together, at frequent intervals, people from all parts of the State and county, at the annual meetings of the legislature, at the session of the courts, the convocations of political conventions, and the sessions of the different benevolent societies of the day. The present population of Madison is about 3,500, with 700 dwellings, 26 stores, 15 groceries, 11 taverns, 2 large printing offices, and a book bindery; a grist mill, with eight run of stone, 3 saw mills, an iron foundry, a woolen factory, an oil mill, 2 steam planing mills, a hominy mill propelled by steam; a bank, the first organized in the State; three churches, with three others to be built during the present season; and mechanical shops of all kinds.

Madora, V., on section 11 , town 10 N., of range 7 E., being in town of Lodi, county of Columbia. It lies on the Wisconsin River, at the mouth of Spring Creek; contains 1 hotel, 1 warehouse, 2 saw mills, and 2 flouring mills in contemplation. The water power is a superior one.

Magnolia, Town, in county of Rock, being town 3 N., of range 10 E.; centrally located, 15 miles west from Janesville. It is settled by New Yorkers'. The population in 1850 was 1,871. It has 7 school districts, and 7 well-finished frame and stone school houses, a good water power, 6 feet head, with 1 grist and 1 saw mill. The face of the country is generally undulating, with burr oak openings and prairie advantageously mixed. It is well watered by springs of the best and purest quality. The soil is a sandy loam, on a subsoil of yellow clay, and is excellent grass land. Large quantities of grass seed, of a superior quality, is annually produced and shipped east. The town boasts of having some of the best improved stock farms in the State.

Magnolia, P. V., in town of same name, Rock County, being on sections 22 and 23, town 3 N., of range 10 E. It has 15 dwellings, 1 tavern, 1 store, 4 mechanics' shops, 1 church, and 1 stone school house.

Maiden's Rock, on east bank of Lake Pepin, in Chippewa County, on section 2, town 23 N., of range 16 W.

Makwa, Lake, the most northern lake on Red Cedar River. Manchester, Town, in county of Calumet. It has 4 school districts.

Manidowish, Lakes, are a chain of lakes in north part of Marathon County, tributary to the Chippewa River, through river of same name.

Manidowish, (Manitoish or Devil's), River, rises in lake of same name, running southwest, empties into Chippewa River, of which it is the largest tributary.

Manitou, River, see East River, Brown County.

Manitowoc, County, is bounded on the north by Brown and Kewaunee, on the east and southeast by the State line in Lake Michigan, on the south by Sheboygan, and on the west by Calumet and a portion of Outagamie. It was set off from Brown, December 7, 1836; organized and attached thereto for judicial purposes, December 17, 1836; fully organized, March 2, 1848. The northern boundaries were somewhat changed February 9, 1850. The seat of justice is established at Manitowoc Rapids, on Manitowoc River, 3 miles from its mouth, and a few miles east of the geographical centre of the county. The general formation of the surface is moderately undulating, and in some parts very agreeably diversified with hills and valleys. The soil is good and well watered, with springs and creeks, and is well adapted to tillage and grazing. The county is densely timbered with maple, oak, elm, birch, ash, pine, and hemlock. The county forms a part of the fourth judicial circuit, of the thirtieth congressional district, and of the first senate district. It sends one member to the assembly. The population in 1840 was 235; 1842, 263; 1846, 629; 1847, 1,285; 1850, 3,713; at present estimated, 7,000. Dwellings, 716; farms, 37; and manufactories, 22. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: County Judge, Ezekiel Ricker; Sheriff, D. H. Van Valkenburg; Clerk of Court, Frederick Salomon; District Attorney, J. H. W. Colby; Register of Deeds, Fred. Salomon; Clerk of Board of Super-visors, Charles A. Reuter; Treasurer, Wm. Bach; Surveyor, Fayette Arnsby; Coroner, Lyman Emmerson.

Manitowoc, River, has its origin in two branches; the one heading at near the southern extremity of Lake Winnebago, and the other near the north western part of the same, in Calumet County; unite near the southeast corner of town 19 N., of range 20 E., draining about 400 square miles of lands. It runs nearly east, entering Lake Michigan at the village of Manitowoc, and is navigable to the village of Manitowoc Rapids, 6 miles from its mouth.

Manitowoc, P. V., see Appendix. .

Manitowoc Rapids, P. V. and C.H., see Appendix.

Manly, Lake, a small lake in the south part of Farmington, Washington County.

Mapleton, P. O., in town of Oconomowoc, Waukesha county, 22 miles northwest from Waukesha, on the Ashippun River, at which place are good mills.

Marathon, County, is bounded on the north and northeast by the State line, east by Waupacca and Oconto, south by Portage, and on the west by Chippewa and La Pointe. It was established from Portage, and fully organized February 9, 1850. Wausau, at Big Bull Falls on the Wisconsin River, about 20 miles north from the south line of the county, is the seat of justice. It is celebrated for its extensive regions of pine timber, and the production of pine lumber, rather than for agricultural pursuits. The mills in Adams, Portage, and Marathon, cut nearly sixty millions feet per annum. The county forms a part of the first senate and of the second congressional districts, and of the third judicial circuit, and, with Portage, sends one member to the assembly. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Judge, Wm. H. Kennedy; Sheriff, Thos. Minton; Clerk of Court, Asa Lawrence.

Marathon, Town, in county of Marathon, comprising the whole of the same. The population in 1850 was 466.

Marcellon, P. V., in town of same name, Columbia County.

Marcellon, Town, in county of Columbia, being town 13 N., of range, 10; centrally located, 8 miles from Portage city. The population in 1850 was 405. It has 4 school districts.

Marine Mills, P. O., in Polk County, 9 miles below the Falls of St. Croix.

Marion, Town, in county of Waushara, being town 18 N., of range 11.

Marion, P. V., in town of Paris, Kenosha County.

Markesan, P. O., in Marquette County, 16 miles from Montello.

Marquette, County, is bounded on the north by Waushara, east by Winnebago and Fond du Lac, on the south by Dodge and Columbia, and on the west by Adams, and is 24 by 30 miles square. It was set off from Brown, December 7, 1836, and was organized and attached to Brown, for judicial purposes, January 22, 1844. It was fully organized July 31, 1848. The bounds of the county were extended March 6, 1849. Of late the subject of the county seat has created considerable excitement, and the question is now being litigated between the villages of Dartford, on the north side of Green Lake, in the eastern portion of the county, and Marquette, on the south side of Puckawa Lake, in the southern portion of the county. The county is celebrated for its good lands, deep lakes, fine water powers, and its industrious and thrifty inhabitants. It is watered by Fox River (Neenah) and its branches. The county is attached to the twenty-third senate, to the third congressional districts, and to the third judicial circuit, and, with Waushara, constitutes two assembly districts, as follows:
1. Towns of Berlin, Brooklyn, Pleasant Valley, Middleton, Mackford, Albany and Green Lake, in the county of Marquette, and the county of Waushara;
2. All that portion of Marquette County, being west of the range line between ranges 10 and 11 E., and the town of Marquette and Kingston, in the county of Marquette.
The population in 1840 was 18; 1842, 59; 1846, 986; 1847, 2,264; including Waushara, 1850, 8,642; 237 farms, 9 manufactories, 1,747 dwellings. County Officers for 1853 and 1854: Judge, John S. Horner; Sheriff, James O. Potter; Clerk of Court, Dominic Devenna; Register of Deeds, J. Edmund Millard.

Marquette, Town, in county of same name. It has 5 school districts.

Marquette, P. V. and C. H., (?) on south side of Puckawa Lake, Marquette County.

Marston, is the name of a new town in County of Sank.

Martin's Creek, rises in town 22 N., of range 23 E., Kewaunee County, is about 7 miles in length, emptying into East Twin River.

Maskau, River, see Mauvaise River, of La Pointe County.

Mashkeg, River, see Mauvaise River, of Lake Superior.

Mauvaise, Creek, a small stream, about 9 miles in length, entering East Twin River, between Benton and Martin's creek.

Mauvaise, (Bad or Mashkeg), River, La Pointe County, a considerable stream tributary to Lake Superior, rises in Kagine Lake, near the head waters of the St. Croix, and enters Lake Superior about 15 miles west from Montreal River.

Mayville, P. V., Dodge County, on section 23, town 12 N, of range 13 E., in town of Williamstown, 12 miles northeast from Juneau, and 65 miles northeast from Madison. It is situated on the principal branch of Rock River, and possesses the superior advantages of good water power, iron ore, timber, and a good soil.

McCartney's Creek, a small stream in Waterloo, Grant County, entering the Mississippi.

Mechan, River, rises in the northern portion of Waushara County, and runs southeast into Fox River, which it enters near the line between towns 15 and 16 N.

Medina, Town, in county of Dane, being town 8 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 16 miles northeast from Madison. It has 7 school districts.

Meeker, P. O., in town of Germantown, Washington County.

Megidcheque, or Namebin Lake, La Pointe County.

Memee, Creek, rises in Manitowoc County, runs south between and nearly parallel to the lake shore and Sheboygan River, enters the lake a few miles northeast of the month of the latter.

Memee, P. O., in Manitowoc County, on section 14, town 17 N, of range 22 E., being in the town of Memee, 15 miles south from Manitowoc, and 130 miles from Madison.

Menasha, P. V., see Appendix.

Menimi, Lake, one of the sources of the St. Croix, in La Pointe County.

Menom, Lake, an expansion of Neenah River immediately above Buffalo Lake, in Marquette County.

Menomonee, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 8 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 12 miles northeast from Waukesha. The population in 1850 was 1,340. It has 7 school districts.

Menomonee, River, (of Milwaukee,) rises in the southern part of Washington County, and runs southeast through a town of same name in Waukesha County, and the towns of Granville, Wauwatosa and Milwaukee, enters Milwaukee River, in the city of Milwaukee.

Menomonee, River, rises near the head waters of the Wisconsin, and running southeast, forming the line between the States of Michigan and Wisconsin, enters Green Bay, at about the middle of the western shore. This river passes a large quantity of water into Green Bay, but owing to its rapidity and falls is not navigable except for canoes. The banks of the Menomonee are covered with a heavy growth of excellent and fine timber. Its valley contains much good land.

Menomonee, Creek, rises near the northeast corner of Jamestown, Grant County, and runs southwest into the State of Illinois.

Menomonee, Diggings, a mining point at the corners of town 1 and 2, N., of ranges 1 and 2 W.

Menomonee, Falls, on river of same name, 15 miles from Milwaukee, at which place is a descent of 40 feet in half a mile.

Menomonee Mills, P. O., in Chippewa County.

Menomonee, Rapids are rapids in the river of same name.

Mequon, Town, in county of Washington, being towns 9 N, of range 21 and fraction 22 N.; centrally located, 12 miles south-west from Ozaukee. The population of 1850 was 2,148. It has 14 school districts.

Mequon, River, rises in the northwest corner of town of same name, and runs east, uniting with the Milwaukee River, at the village of Mequon.

Mequon River, P. V., in county of Washington, on section 23, of the town of Mequon, town 9 N., of range 21 E., on the Milwaukee and Fond du Lac plank road, 15 miles southwest from Ozaukee, and 90 miles easterly from Madison. Population 160; with 20 dwellings, a good school house, and various mechanics.

Merrit's Mill, on the Wisconsin River, near the southwest corner of town 22 N., of range 5 E., in Portage County.

Merton, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 8 N, of range 18 E.; centrally located, 15 miles northwest from Waukesha. The population in 1850 was 1,763. It has 8 school districts.

Metomen, P. V., is on section 10, in town of same name, being town 15 N., of range 14 E. It is in Fond du Lac county, 20 miles west from the county seat, with which it is connected by a plank road, and is 65 miles northeast from Madison. It has 250 inhabitants; with 2 stores, 3 hotels, and 2 mills; 2 churches, and 5 religious denominations. It is a good location for a woolen factory, as much attention is paid to the raising of sheep in the vicinity.

Metomen, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 15 N, of range 14 E.; centrally located, 18 miles west from Fond du Lac. The population in 1850 was 756. It has 9 school districts.

Michiconi, Lake, forms a portion of the head waters of the Manidowish branch of the Chippewa River.

Michigan, Lake, the eastern bounds of the State, is the only one of the great chain of inland seas that lies wholly within the United States. It is estimated to have a length of about 320 miles, and a mean or average breadth of 70 miles, having, therefore, an area of 22,400 square miles, exclusive of Green Bay. The surface of Lake Michigan is 578 feet above the level of the Ocean, and its mean depth is estimated at 1,000 feet. The bottom is, therefore, about 400 feet below the Ocean level. Its greatest width is opposite Milwaukee, where it is nearly 100 miles. The length of coast of this lake, in Wisconsin, from the State of Illinois to the north point of Rock Island, at the entrance of Green Bay, is 257 miles.

Middle Mills, P. O., in Chippewa County, town 28 N., of range 13 W. Population, 300; with 1 mill, 2 stores, and 1 hotel.

Middleton, P.O., in town of same name, Dane County.

Middleton, Town, in the county of Dane, being town 7 N., of range 8 E.; centrally located, 8 miles west from Madison. It has 6 school districts.

Middleton, Town, Marquette County, see Dayton.

Mifflin, P. V., in town of same name, Iowa County, formerly called Black Jack, consists of two small villages, from a half, to three-fourths of a mile apart, containing about 200 inhabitants, principally miners. It has 4 stores, 1 grist mill, and 1 smelting furnace. A large branch of the West Peckatonnica flows through both villages. The country around is mostly prairie. It is 11 miles west from Mineral Point.

Mifflin, Town, in the county of Iowa.

Millard, P. V., on section 9, town 3 N., of range 16 E., in the town of Sugar Creek, Walworth County. It is 7 miles north-west from Elkhorn, 60 miles southeast from Madison, on the east side of Sugar Creek prairie. Population 100, with 15 dwellings, 1 store, and Baptist church.

Mill Creek, a small stream entering the Neenah, in the town of Grand Chute, Outagamie County.

Milford, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 8 N, of range 15 E.; centrally located, 12 miles north from Jefferson. Population in 1850 was 728. It has 6 school districts.

Millville, P. V., in town of Patch Grove, Grant County, on the Wisconsin river, in town N., of range 6 W.

Milton, Town, in county of Rock, being town 4 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 14 miles northeast from Janesville. Population in 1850 was 1,032. It has 8 school districts.

Milton, P. V., in town of same name, in Rock County, on section 27. It is 8 miles northeast from Janesville, and 36 miles southeast from Madison. Population 400, with 40 dwellings, 5 stores, 3 hotels, 2 churches, 3 societies, and 1 academy of about 70 scholars. It is 60 miles southwest from Milwaukee, on the line of the M. & M. R. R., with a branch to Janesville.

Milwaukee, City, the county seat of Milwaukee County, and the largest town in the State, is situated in town 7, of range 22, E., and near the mouth of the river of the same name, and on the shores of a bay, or indentation of Lake Michigan, some six miles between the outer points, and two and one half to three miles in width, affording deep water at all times, and good holding ground for vessels at anchor. The river comes from the north in a direction parallel with the lake shore, the land rising from the lake in almost perpendicular bluffs, and descending gradually to the bed of the river. On the west, the land rises again to a considerable height. Within the limits of the corporation, the Menominee River comes in from the west, and joins the Milwaukee, about a mile from its present mouth. Piers were erected some years since by the United States Government, at the mouth of the river; but the citizens have long felt the necessity of dispensing with the circuitous route which the river takes through the low grounds near its mouth, and have projected a cut through an isthmus of some 200 feet in width between the river and lake, and the erection of piers at that point, thus forming a new harbor or opening into the river. There is always water enough in the river for the largest class of lake craft, as far up as the mills, some two miles from its mouth. Recently, (May, 1853,) the citizens have voted a loan, of $50,000, to be expended in connection with a Government appropriation of $15,000, in the improvement of the harbor. Milwaukee was laid out as a village in 1835. Its rapidity of growth may be seen from the following, giving the population for the years mentioned: In 1838, 700; 1840, 1,751; 1842, 2,700; 1846, 9,655; 1847, 14,061; 1849, 18,000; 1850, 20,061. The above presents a rate of increase unparalleled in the history even of the rapidly growing West. At present, the population is estimated at over 25,000 souls. A dam is thrown across the Milwaukee River, near the north limits of the city, and a canal is conducted from it parallel with the stream, affording an abundant water power; the present capacity of which may be increased at comparatively small expense. Five large flouring mills, one woolen factory, oil mill, pail factory, and numerous machine shops, are situated upon this water power, and are accessible to vessels of the largest class. The town of Milwaukee was incorporated as a city by the territorial Legislature, January 81, 1846, with five wards; and the first election under the char-ter was held on the first Tuesday of April succeeding. Solomon Juneau, who, as an Indian trader, had first built his cabin on the site of the city, and remained for many years the only white settler, was chosen the first mayor. The number of buildings erected in 1850 was 325, at a cost of $369,000. Since that time the city has greatly enlarged its borders, and increased in the number and quality of its buildings. The color of the brick used being a light cream, with their excellent quality; add very much to the appearance of the city. Great taste is exhibited in the architecture of many of the dwellings and blocks of stores; some of the latter rivaling any buildings of the kind west of New York. Seven daily newspapers, four in English and three in German are published in the city. All of these publish weekly editions, and most of them tri-weeklies. There are, besides, two other weeklies, and two monthly publications issued. The public schools of this city are under the charge of a board of three commissioners from each ward. A commodious brick edifice has been erected in each ward for the purpose, at an average cost of about $5,000. A large portion of the children of the city receive gratuitous instruction in these schools. Besides these, there are numerous private academies and schools, among which may be mentioned the Milwaukee University Institute, which is incorporated with a University charter the Milwaukee Female College, for which a very tasteful and extensive brick building has been erected the Spring street Female Seminary the Milwaukee Commercial and English School the Milwaukee Academy, &c. For the last mentioned, a commodious brick building is erected and in use. There are in Milwaukee 85 church organizations and nearly 30 church edifices. In 1852 there were 21 organizations, of the following denominations: 2 Baptist, 2 Congregational, 4 Roman Catholic, 3 Protestant Episcopal, Norwegian Lutheran, 6 German Protestant, 3 Methodist Episcopal, 5 Presbyterian, 1 Universalist, and 2 Wesleyan Methodist. Among the associations for various objects and purposes, there were last year in operation a City Bible Society, Tract Society, 2 Musical Societies, 3 Orphan Asylums, 2 Benevolent Societies, several Literary Associations, 5 Odd Fellows' Lodges, 3 Masonic Lodges, 2 Temperance Divisions, besides numerous Insurance and other Companies, belonging more appropriately to business matters. Eight Fire Companies constitute that department, well supplied with the necessary machines, and it is conducted with efficiency and harmony. The city is lighted with gas, supplied from extensive works erected in 1852. The United States District Court holds its sessions in this city. The Circuit and County Courts also hold several terms during the year; and a Municipal Court will probably be soon established. Several consulships for German States are located in Milwaukee, for the benefit of the very large number of Germans who arrive at Milwaukee and other Wisconsin ports, and settle within the State. During the past three years, much has been done to increase the facilities of intercourse between Milwaukee and the interior of the State. Several plank roads stretch out in various directions, there being now near 200 miles constructed and in operation. The Milwaukee and Mississippi rail road is completed as far as Janesville, 71 miles, and is tinder contract from Milton, 8 miles northeast from Janesville to Madison, to be completed by the 1st January, 1854, whence it is to run westward to Prairie du Chien, on the Mississippi, at the mouth of the Wisconsin. Other roads are chartered, and portions of them contracted, or ready for contract, as follows: Green Bay, Milwaukee and Chicago, running north and south. The portion of this road, south of Milwaukee, is expected to be complete within 18 months, Milwaukee and Beloit, (chartered;) about 70 miles in length, but the connexion can be made through other roads in half that distance. Milwaukee and Watertown, under contract to Watertown, 46 miles north of west, to be extended to Portage city immediately, and thence to La Crosse on the Upper Mississippi. La Crosse and Milwaukee, nearly in the same direction as the last named, passing through Dodge County. A large amount of stock subscribed, and the enterprise in energetic hands. Milwaukee, Fond du Lac and Green Bay, fully organized by the subscription of stock, and with a prospect of early completion. These several lines of railway, once completed, will make Milwaukee the business centre of a very rich and rapidly growing region of country. Measures are now prosecuted with energy for the building of a railroad across the State of Michigan, which, in connexion with the Canadian system of roads, will place Milwaukee on almost an air line route from the northwest to the great Eastern cities. The value of articles manufactured in the city in the year 1852, was over $2,000,000. Tonnage of vessels owned in the city, 8,548. Number of arrivals at the port in 1852, about 1600; and departures the same. Of principal articles, the following quantities were exported during the year 1852, viz: flour, 88,597 bbls.; wheat, 394,386 bushels; "barley, 345,620 bushels; oats, 428,800 bushels; rye, 67,759 bushels; hogs, live and dressed, 1,771,314 lbs.; pork, 19,603 bbls.; bacon, 188,286 lbs.; beef, 7,773 bbls.; eggs, 54,000 doz.; butter, 80,000 lbs.; saleratus, 150,000 lbs.; mill feed, 300 tons; hops, 11,625 lbs.; brick,' 700,000; wool, 321,121 lbs.; hides, 12,990 lbs.; flax, 4,211 lbs.; broom corn, 270 tons; ashes, pot and pearl, 3,291 casks; grass seed, 5,852 bbls.; furs, 139 bales; lead and shot, about 1,000,000 lbs.; staves, dressed, 189,000, &c. &c.

Milwaukee, County is bounded on the north by Washington, east by the State line, south by Racine, and west by Waukesha. It was established and set off from Brown, Sept. 6, 1834, and fully organized. Its original limits extended from the south and east lines of the present State of Wisconsin north to the north line of township 12, and west to the line between the Green Bay and Wisconsin land districts, which was established June 26, 1834, and was a north and south line drawn from the northern boundary of Illinois, along the range line next west of Fort Winnebago to the Wisconsin River, or the range line between ranges 8 and 9 E. The seat of justice is established at the city of Milwaukee. This county was originally covered with a heavy growth of hard timber. The soil is good and well adapted to the raising of grain and to gardening. The streams are the Milwaukee, Menomonee and Root rivers and Oak Creek. This county is in the second judicial circuit and the first congressional district. Its legislative representation is as follows: The first and second wards of the city of Milwaukee, and towns of Wauwatosa, Milwaukee and Granville, constitute the fifth senate district. The third, fourth, and fifth wards in the city of Milwaukee, and the towns of Greenfield, Lake, Oak Creek and Franklin, constitute the sixth senate district. The first ward in the city of Milwaukee constitutes an assembly district. The second ward in the city of Milwaukee constitutes an assembly district. The third ward in the city of Milwaukee constitutes an assembly district. The fourth ward in the city of Milwaukee constitutes an assembly district. The fifth ward in the city of Milwaukee constitutes an assembly district. The towns of Franklin and Oak Creek constitute an assembly district. The towns of Greenfield and Lake constitute an assembly district. The town of Wauwatosa constitutes an assembly district. The towns of Milwaukee and Granville constitute an assembly district. County Officers for the years 1853 and 1854: Judge, Horatio N. Wells; Sheriff, Herman L. Page; Clerk of Court, Matthew Keenan; District Attorney, A. E. K. Butler; Register of Deeds, Charles J. Kern.

Milwaukee, Town in county of same name, being fractional towns 7 and 8 N., of range 22 E.; in which is located the city of Milwaukee. The population in 1850 was 1,364.

Milwaukee, Falls, on the Milwaukee River, near the mouth of Cedar River, in Washington County.

Milwaukee, River, has its source in the towns of Eden and Osceola, Fond du Lac County and running southerly, through Washington County, unites with the Menomonee, at Milwaukee city, and enters Lake Michigan.

Mineral, Creek, is a tributary from the Wisconsin, from the south, in Iowa County. It rises near Dodgeville.

Mineral Point, P. V., county seat of Iowa County, contains about 2,500 inhabitants and is rapidly increasing. It has 5 churches, 4 smelting furnaces in operation, and the value of mineral raised in crude state is $500,000 per annum; 11 dry good stores, 5 groceries, 3 drug stores, and 1 book store. Inhabitants are mostly miners. It is surrounded by a rich farming country; is the terminus of the Mineral Point railroad from the Illinois state line to Mineral Point, a distance of 31 i miles, where it intersects the central railroad. A branch of the Peckatonnica runs near the village, affording water power.

Mississippi, River, "The Father of Waters," is the most important stream in the United States. Its entire length, according to Nicollett's Report to Congress, is 2,986 miles; about 275 miles of this distance forms the western boundary of Wisconsin. The principal tributaries of the Mississippi in this State are the St. Croix, Chippewa, Trempeleau, Black, and Wisconsin.

Mitchell, P. V., in county of Sheboygan.

Mitchell, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being on section 12, town 14 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 20 miles south-west from Sheboygan. It has 4 school districts.

Mominikan, Lake, on Red Cedar River.

Monches, P. O., in Waukesha County.

Montfort, P. O., (Village of Wingville,) on section 24, town 6 N., of range 1 W., 18 miles northeast from Lancaster, and 50 miles west from Madison, on a high and beautiful prairie on the thoroughfare from Madison to the Mississippi, and is surrounded by a rich and fertile farming country, which is becoming rapidly improved. Population 100, with 30 dwellings, 2 hotels, 2 stores, a melting furnace, and a Methodist church.

Monish, Lake, in Waukesha County. See Denoon Lake.

Monroe, C. H. and P. V., in town of same name, Green County, on section 35, town 2 N, of range 7 E. It is 40 miles south from Madison. Population 800, with 200 dwellings, 7 stores, 3 hotels, 2 mills, 4 wagon, 5 blacksmith, 4 cabinet, 4 shoe and 4 carpenter shops, 1 broom and 1 chair factory, 2 lath saws, and several turning lathes connected with machinery at the mills, 1 Methodist and 1 Christian church. Monroe is situated on the direct route from Janesville to Dubuque and Galena, 35 miles from the former, and 50 miles from the latter place. It is surrounded by a rich farming country and large tracts of the best quality of timber. The location is very healthy. The flouring mill runs 4 run of stone, and, with the saw mill, is driven by steam.

Monroe, Town, in county of Green, being town 2 N., of range 7 E., in which is located the county seat. Population in 1850 was 1,146. It has 7 school districts.

Montello, P. V., in Marquette County, on section 16, of town 15 1ST., of range 10 E., 19 miles west from Dartford, and 47 miles north from Madison, at the mouth of Montello River, and the outlet of Buffalo Lake. It possesses an excellent water power, having a fall of 14 feet, with sufficient water at all seasons of the year to carry five run of stone. It has all the advantages of the navigation of Neenah River. Population 200, with 50 dwellings, 7 stores, 2 hotels, 1 mill, 1 church, and several mechanical and manufacturing shops.

Montello, Town, in county of Marquette, being town 15 N., of range 10. It has 3 school districts.

Montello, River, rises in the northwest corner of Marquette County, and running southeasterly, empties into the Neenah River at the foot of Buffalo Lake.

Monterey, P. O., in Oconomowoc, Waukesha County, on Ashippun creek.

Monteville, Town, in county of La Crosse.

Montrzuma, P. V., in town of Jefferson, Green County, being in town 1 N., of range 8 E.

Monticello, P. V., on section 7, town 3 N, of range 8 E., in Green County. It is situated on the Madison and Monroe, and Beloit and Mineral Point stage routes, near the center of the county, with a fine farming country surrounding it, and possesses a fine water power. It is 10 miles north of Monroe, and 30 miles south from Madison. Population 100, with 18 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, 1 saw mill, 1 tin and sheet iron, 1 wagon and 1 cabinet shop; 1 Methodist Episcopal denomination.

Montreal, B ay, in La Pointe County, on the southern shore of Lake Superior, at the mouth of Montreal River.

Montreal, River, rises near the head of the Wisconsin and Ontonagon Rivers, west of Lake Vieux Desert, and running quite rapidly northwesterly, enters Lake Superior at Montreal Bay, forming a portion of the boundary line between Michigan and Wisconsin, (La Pointe County.)

Montrose, Town, in county of Dane, being town 5 N., of range 8 E.; centrally located, 15 miles southwest from Madison. It has 7 school districts.

Morman, Creek, rises in range 5 W., La Crosse County, and runs westerly in township 15 N., entering the Mississippi.

Morrison's Greek, a small branch of Platte River, in Highland, Grant County.

Moundville, Settlement, in Iowa County, one mile west of Blue Mounds P. O.

Moundville, P. O., in Marquette County, 12 miles from Montello.

Moundville, Town, in county of Marquette.

Mountain Island, River, see Tempeleau River.

Mouse, Lake, is between Okauchee and Pine lakes, on the Oconomowoc River, in Waukesha County.

Mount Hope, residence of R M. Meigs, on section 1, in Ottawa, Waukesha County, adjoining village of Waterville.

Mount Moriah, this name has been given to an elevation of land near Grand River, in the town of Kingsboro', Marquette County.

Mount Morris, Waushara County, an elevation in the south part of the town of Ontario.

Mount Morris, Town, in county of Waushara, being town 19 N., of range 11.

Mount Pleasant, Town, in county of Racine, being town 3 N., of range 22 E.; centrally located, 6 miles west from Racine.

Mount Pleasant, Town, in bounty of Green, being town 3 N., of range 8; centrally located, 8 miles northeast from Monroe. Population in 1850 was 579. It has 7 school districts.

Mount Pleasant, P. O., in town of same name, Green County, being in town 3 N., of range 8 E.

Mount Sterling, P. V., in Crawford County, on section 26, town 10 K, of range 5 W.

Mount Trempeleau, a bluff about 500 feet high, at the mouth of the river of the same name, in Jackson County, having a beautiful and extensive view of the surrounding country.

Mount Tom, in Marquette County, in the town of Pleasant Valley.

Mount Vernon, P. V., on the town line between Primrose and Springdale, in Dane County, 17 miles southwest from Madison. It is a flourishing village, with a healthy situation, in the Valley of Sugar River, surrounded by a fine farming country producing grain of all kinds in great abundance, and well adapted to grazing and wool growing; and occupied by an industrious and enterprising population. It has several good hydraulic powers, an excellent stone quarry, and good material for making brick. Taking into consideration the many advantages of this place, and the distance to other villages, together with the fact, that the land in the county is owned by actual settlers, it is destined, ere long, to assume an important place among the rapidly growing towns of Wisconsin.

Mud, Lake, a small lake in the town of Shields, Dodge County.

Mud, Lake, in Columbia County, a widening of the Neenah River, 5 miles below the Portage.

Muddy, Creek, a branch from the north of Chippewa River, in town 26 N., of range 12 W.

Muddy, Creek a small stream entering the Mississippi, at Cassville, Grant County.

Mukwa, P. V. and C. H., on section 20, town 22 N., of range 14 E., on Wolf River, in Waupacca County.

Mukwa, Town, in county of Waupacca.

Mukwanago, P. V., situated on section 26, in town of same name, Waukesha County, 16 miles south from Waukesha, and 70 miles east from Madison, near the entrance of the Mukwanago creek into the Fox (Pishtakee) River. It is on the Milwaukee and Janesville plank road, and is the market town of an excellent farming region of land. The population is about 500, with 75 dwellings, 2 hotels, 5 stores, a large flouring mill, and a variety of mechanics.

Mukwanago, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 5 N., of range 18 E.; centrally located, 10 miles south from Waukesha. Population in 1850 was 1,094. It has 8 school districts.

Mukwanago, Lake, an expansion of Pishtakee River, about two miles in length, in Waukesha County.

Mullet, River, rises in a small lake in Fond du Lac County, and running easterly into Sheboygan River, in Sheboygan County, it enters just above the Falls.

Muscoda, Town, in the county of Grant, being the north half of town 7 N., of range 1 W., and all of the country embraced in towns 8 and 9 N., of ranges 1 and 2 W.; centrally located, 22 miles northeast from Lancaster. It has 2 school districts. This town was organized in 1852.

Muscoda, P. V., Grant County, in town of same name, is located on section 1, town 8 N., of range 1 W., on the southern bank of the Wisconsin River, being in the northeast corner of the town and county. It possesses a good site for a town, being on a beautiful prairie, heretofore known as English prairie, 10 feet above the level of high water mark. The river bank is composed of sand stone from the base to within seven feet of the top. The soil is a black vegetable loam, very productive. It is located 30 miles northeast from Lancaster, and 80 miles west from Madison, 45 miles from the mouth of the Wisconsin, and 25 below Helena. Population 250, with 50 dwellings, 3 stores, 2 hotels, and various branches of industry.

Muskego, P. V., in town of same name, Waukesha County, town 5 N, of range 20 E.

Muskego, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 5 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 10 miles southeast from Waukesha. The population in 1850 was 1,111. It has 8 school districts.

Muskego, Creek, Waukesha County, rises in lake of the same name, and empties into Fox River at Rochester.

Muskego, Lake, in town of same name, in the southeast part of Waukesha county, is nearly four miles long, and more than a mile wide.

Muskego, River, is a tributary from the west of the Menomonee River, which it enters near Big Quinesec Falls.

Musquewoc, Lake, in the west part of West Bend, in Washington County, is about 3£ miles long, and three-fourths of a mile wide.

Muskos, River, is a tributary from the west of the Menomonee River, which it enters near Big Quinesec Falls.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.