Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ H ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Halfway, Creek, a small stream in La Crosse County, entering the old channel of Black River, about half way between Black River and the present outlet.

Halfway, Creek, a small branch of Black Earth creek, from the northeast rising in Berry, Dane County.

Hall's Creek, empties into the Kickapoo from the west, in town 9, Crawford County.

Hampden, Town, in county of Columbia, being town 10 N., of range 11; centrally located, 20 miles southeast from Portage. The population in 1850 was 489. It has 4 school districts.

Hanchetville, P. V., in town of Medina, Dane County, town 8 K, of range 12 E.

Harden, Town, (formerly Albany,) in county of Marquette. It has 6 school districts.

Hardscrabble, Diggings, a mining settlement on the line between Grant and Lafayette Counties.

Harmony, Town, in county of Rock, being town 3 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 5 miles southeast from Janesville. The population in 1850 was 840. It has 5 school districts.

Harrison, Town, in county of Grant, being town 3 N., of range 2 W.; centrally located, 10 miles southeast from Lancaster. It has 8 school districts.

Harrisville, P. O., Marquette county, on section 14, town 16 N., of range 9 E., 20 miles west from Dartford, on the Montello River, and 50 miles north from Madison. It has a good mill power and is well located for a village, in a good farming country of land.

Hartford, Town, in county of Washington, being town 10 N., of range 18 E.; centrally located, 24 miles southwest from Ozaukee. The population in 1850 was 1,078. It has 9 school districts.

Hartland, P. V., Waukesha County, on section 3, town 7 N., of range 18 E., being in the town of Delafield, 10 miles north-west from Waukesha, and 60 miles east from Madison. Population 175, with 30 dwellings, 3 stores, 3 hotels, 1 flouring mill, a large and commodious school house. This place is situated on the Milwaukee, Watertown and Madison plank road, at the crossing of Bark River.

Hat, Island, about 4 miles southeast from Chamber's Island, in Green Bay, near the eastern shore, in town 30 N., of range 26 E.

Hay, River, a large tributary of Chippewa River from the north-west, empties in town 20 N":, of range 12.

Hay, Creek, is a small tributary from the north of the Baraboo, which it enters at Reedsburgh, Sauk County.

Hazel Green, Town, in county of Grant, being town 1 N., of range 1 W.; centrally located, 18 miles southeast from Lancaster. It has 5 school districts.

Hazel Green, P. V., Grant county, on sections 24 and 25, town 1 N., of range 1 W., 32 miles east of south from Lancaster, and 80 miles southwest from Madison, on the mail route to Galena, from which place it is 10 miles north. It has 750 inhabitants, 100 dwellings, 7 stores, 3 hotels, 1 mill, 5 black-smith, 3 wagon, 2 cooper, 3 tailor, 2 shoemaker, and 2 butcher shops; 2 drag stores and 2 physicians; 3 carpenters, and 1 cabinet maker; 1 Presbyterian, 1 Catholic, 1 Baptist, and 1 Methodist church.

Heart, Lake, is at the head of a small stream entering the east end of Lake Apuckawa, in town of Middleton, Marquette County.

Heart Prairie, P. V., in town of Lagrange, Walworth County, being on section 27, in town 4 N., of range 16 E.

Hebron, Town, in county of Jefferson, being town 6 N, of range 15 E.; centrally located, 6 miles east from Jefferson. The population in 1850 was 640. It has 6 school districts.

Helena, Village, in town of Arena, Iowa County, town 8 N., of range 4 E.

Hellenville, P. O., on section 23, in town of Hebron, town 6 N., of range 15 E., Jefferson County. It is 6 miles east from Jefferson C. H., and 41 miles southeast from Madison. It has 1 store, 1 hotel, 1 Lutheran Church, and 2 saw mills.

Herman, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being town 16 N., of range 22 E.; centrally located, northwest from Sheboygan. It has 5 school districts.

Herman, Town, in county of Dodge, being town 11 N., range 17 E.; centrally located, 12 miles northeast from Juneau. It has 5 school districts.

Hermon, P. O., in town of same name, Dodge County.

Hereon, River, enters Lake Superior, at Bark Pointe.

Highland, Town, in county of Iowa, being parts of townships 6 and 7 N., of ranges 1 and 2 E.; centrally located, 15 miles northwest from Mineral Point. It has 7 school districts.

Highland (recently) Town, in county of Grant, being townships 4 and 5 N., of ranges 2 W.; divided by Board of Supervisors in 1852, by the erection of the towns of Liberty and Ellenboro.

Highland, P. V., in town of same name, in Iowa County, containing 400 inhabitants, 6 stores, 2 smelting furnaces, 3 hotels, and 1 church. Blue River runs through the southern part of the town.

Hingham, P. V., in county of Sheboygan, being on section 26, in town of Lima, 14 N., of range 22 E.

Hoadley, P. O., in the county of Racine.

Holland, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being town 13 N., of range 22 E.; centrally located, 15 miles southwest from Sheboygan. It has 7 school districts.

Holmes' Landing, near the mouth of Eagle creek, in La Crosse County.

Honey Creek, P. V., in town of Spring Prairie, Walworth County, being in town 3 N., of range 18 E.

Honey Creek, Town, in county of Sauk, being parts of towns 9 and 10 N, of ranges 3, 4 and 5; centrally located, southwest from Baraboo.

Honey, Creek, rises near Monroe, Green County and runs south-west into the Peckatonnica, Green County.

Honey, Creek, has its source in several small lakes in the town of Lagrange, Walworth County, and running southeast, unites with Sugar Creek at Vienna, in the town of Sugar Prairie.

Honey, Creek, rises in town 10 N., in the western part of Sauk County, and running eastwardly unites with Otter creek, and enters the Wisconsin about 6 miles below Prairie du Sac.

Hoosick, P. O., Green County, in southeast corner of the town of Albany, town 3 N, range 9 E., on section 36. It is 14 miles northeast from Madison, and 30 miles south from Madison.

Hoozier Grove, P. O., in Green County.

Hope, Lake, is a small lake about half a mile in diameter, on the town line between Lake Mills and Oakland. Its waters are discharged with those of Ripley Lake, into Lake Koskonong.

Horicon, Lake, is a lake in Dodge and Fond du Lac Counties, in ranges 15 and 16 E., formed by a dam across Rock River, at Horicon, at the lower point of Winnebago marsh. It is 16 miles long, and about 6 miles wide.

Horicon, P. O., in town of Hubbard, Dodge County, on section 6, town 11 N., of range 16 E., at outlet of lake of same name, on Rock River, possessing good water power.

Horse-Shoe, Island, in Eagle harbor, Green Bay.

Hortonia, Town, in county of Outagamie, being 22 N., of ranges 15 and 16 E., 16 miles northwest from Grand Chute. It has 3 school districts.

Howard, P. O., in town of Pewaukie, Waukesha, 6 miles north-west from Waukesha, on the mail route to Delafield from Milwaukee.

Hubbard, Town, in county of Dodge, being town 11 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, 6 miles east from Juneau. It has 7 school districts.

Hubbleton, P. V., in town of Milford, Jefferson County, on the Crawfish River, at the crossing of the M. W. & M. plank road.

Hudson, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 2 N., of range 18 E.; centrally located, east from Elkhorn. The population in 1850 was 1,273. It has 7 school districts.

Hudson, P. V. & C. H., (formerly Willow River,) in county of St. Croix, on section 24 and 25, town 29 N., of range 20 W., of the fourth principal meridian. It is 200 miles northwest from Madison. Population 500; 94 dwellings, 6 stores, 4 hotels, 2 churches, 4 denominations; 2 shoe, 1 harness, 3 blacksmith, 11 carpenter, 2 cabinet maker, 2 turner, and 2 tailor shops. It is beautifully located on an eminence gradually rising from the eastern bank of Lake St. Croix, surrounded by a farming country second to none in the North-west, and is eligibly situated to command the lumbering interests of the St. Croix. , In the winter season it is the only thoroughfare and mail route between Galena and Minnesota. It is rapidly increasing in population and wealth. It has in its vicinity 4 saw mills and 2 grist mills. The U. S. Land Office for the Chippewa district is located at this place.

Hudson, Town, in St. Croix County, see Willow River, its former name.

Hughlans Creek, a branch from the east of Little Platte River, in Smeltzer, Grant County.

Humes' Rapids, on Rock River, 16 miles north of State line of Illinois; is about one and a half miles in length, with a descent of 7 feet.

Hurd's Mills, a small stream entering Red Cedar River, in Chippewa County, in town 28 N., of range 13.

Hurd's Mills, (see Okauchee.)

Hurricane Grove, P. O., in town of Lancaster, on section 36, Grant County, town 4 N., of range 3 W.

Hurricane, Neighborhood, embraced in parts of Lancaster, Beetown and Waterloo, contains the heaviest growth of timber in the State. The timber region took its name from a tornado or hurricane of wind that once swept over and prostrated most of the timber, perhaps 75 or 100 years ago. As we have only tradition and decayed logs for testimony, nothing very particular is known of the extent or time of the storm. The present size of the trees and quantity standing upon the ground indicate, however, that the hurricane took place before the generation of timber now occupying the country had more than fairly germinated. There are large quantities of walnut, basswood, red and white oak, and maple trees of large size. The soil of this timber region differs from most any in Wisconsin. It resembles most the black limestone soil of Pennsylvania and New York; but in many places is of lighter quality, and is always deeper before coming to the clay. Its productiveness is absolutely astonishing, yielding under good cultivation an hundred bushels corn to the acre. The only complaint is the work required in clearing the ground of the wood, which many prefer to do rather than settle on prairie land. The Hurricane will be a rich settlement in a few years.

Hustisford, Town, in county of Dodge, being in town 10 N, of range 16 E.; centrally located, 8 miles southeast of Juneau. It has 8 school districts.

Hustisford, P. V., in Dodge County, on section 9, town 10 N., of range 16 E. It is 8 miles southeast from Juneau, and 60 miles northeast from Madison. It is situated on Rock River, on the route of the Milwaukee and La Crosse railroad. Population 75; 12 dwellings, 2 stores, 1 hotel, 2 mills, and 1 Methodist denomination.

Hustis' Rapids on Rock River, in Dodge County, three-fourths of a mile in length, in which distance is a descent of about 7 feet.

Hyland's Prairie, is in the town of Burnette, Dodge County.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.