Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ A ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Abbott, Town, in county of Sheboygan, being town 13 N., in range 21 E; located southwest from Sheboygan, the county seat. It has 9 school districts.

Adams, P. V, in Walworth County, on section 18, town 4 N., range 17 E.; being in the town of Troy, 1 miles north from Elkhorn, and 60 miles southeast from Madison, in a good farming district, 8 miles southwest from the Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad depot at Eagle Prairie.

Adams Town, in the county of Green, being township S N., of range 6 E; located ten miles northwest from Monroe, the county seat. It hat 5 school districts.

Adams, County is bounded on the north by Portage, on the east by "Waushara and Marquette, on the south by Columbia and Sauk, and on the west by La Crosse and a portion of Sauk. It was established March 11, 1848, from Portage; at which time it embraced the territory south and west of the Lemonwier and Wisconsin Rivers, north of town 13, and east of range 1 E. By an act approved March 6, 1849, the territory was extended north and east, and so changed in the southeast that it embraced only about four townships of its original limits. At the session of the legislature of the winter of 1853, it was restored to its former southern bounds, and the seat of justice located at Kingsbury's Ferry, on the Wisconsin River. The county is attached to Sauk for legislative purposes. It is watered by the Wisconsin, Lemonwier, Yellow, Necada, and the two Roche a Gris rivers, with several other streams, the banks of some of which are covered by an excellent growth of pine timber. The first surveys of Adams County having been made so recently as 1851, but little is as yet known of its advantages and resources. The population in 1850 was 187, since which time it has been rapidly settling. Upon the Lemonwier are erected and in operation, four saw mills propelled by water, and one by steam, and are supposed to produce from four to six million feet of pine lumber per annum. The valley of the Lemonwier, so called, constitutes that part lying on the west and south of said river, is not easily surpassed in richness and fertility of soil; the timber being principally black and burr oak; numerous small streams and rivulets flow from the high lands across the valley, which already contain a numerous population. There is one steam saw mill, and one mill propelled by water, on the Yellow river, employed in the manufacture of pine lumber, producing from two to three million feet per annum. The country lying between the Yellow river and the Wisconsin, and the Yellow River and the Lemonwier, presents a flat and monotonous appearance; the soil in general being unfit for agricultural purposes, affording, however, many facilities for stock raising and dairy farming unsurpassed in the state. The features of the country are more varied in the east than on the west side of the Wisconsin River, presenting a more broken and undulating surface, and more elevated. This part of the country is fast being settled by a hardy and enterprising class of farmers, and is destined, at no distant day, to be one of the best grain-growing portions of the State. The southeast part of the county is the mo9t densely populated, the country being diversified and much elevated, but not very well watered. At the first election held in the county, in April 1853, the following gentlemen were elected County Officers:

County Judge, E.S. Miner
Sheriff, W. J. Sayre
Clerk of Court, S. G. Holbrook
Clerk of Board Supervisors, Wm. H. Spain
Register, Wm. H. Palmer
District Attorney, D. A. Bigelow
Treasurer, S. G. Holbrook
Surveyor, Caleb McArthur
Coroner, W. I. Webster

Addison, Town, in county of Washington, being town 11 N., of range 18 E.; located 23 miles west from Ozaukee. The population in 1850 was 1,092. It has 9 school districts.

Adell, P. V., in county of Sheboygan, being on section 17, in town 13 N., (Abbott,) range 20 E.

Ahnepee, Creek, rises in Door County and runs southeast, entering Lake Michigan in town 25, range 25 E., in Kewaunee County.

Ajasowi, River, see Courterielle River.

Albany, P. V., in Green County, on section 28, town 3 N., range 9 E.; 14 miles northeast from Monroe, 28 miles south from Madison. Population, 200; 26 dwellings, 8 stores, 2 hotels, 2 mills, and 9 manufactories. It has a large water power, in the midst of a good farming country, and has three regular mail routes passing through the village.

Albany, Town, in Green County, being township 3 N., range 9 E.; located 12 miles northeast from Monroe. The population in 1850 was 546. It has 6 school districts.

Albion, P. V., in town of same name, Dane County.

Albion, Town, in county of Dane, being in town 5 N., range 12 E.; centrally located, 25 miles southeast from Madison, the county seat. It Las 7 school districts.

Albion, Town, in county of Jackson, being all of said county, north of township 22. It has 4 school districts.

Alcove, P. V., in Fond du Lac County, on section 32 of the town of Empire, (town 15 N., range 18 E.,) 6 miles southeast from Fond du Lac, the county seat, and 75 miles northeast from Madison.

Algoma, Town, in county of Winnebago, south side of Fox River. The population in 1850 was 702. It has 7 school districts.

Algoma, P. V., in town of same name, Winnebago County, on section 15, in town 18 N., range 16 E., on Fox River, between Lake Great Butte des Morts and Winnebago, 2 miles above Oshkosh.

Allen's Grove, P. V., in town of Sharon, Walworth County, on section 6, in town 1 N., range 15 E.

Almond, P. V., in county of Portage. It is 16 miles from Plover, the county seat, and 105 miles from Madison. Population 150.

Alto, P. V., Fond du Lac county, on section 13, in town of same name, being town 14 N., range 14 E.; located 18 miles south west from Fond du Lac city, and 55 miles northeast from Madison.

Alto, Town, in the county of Fond du Lac, being town 14 N., of range 14 E.; centrally located, 10 miles southwest from Fond du Lac. Population in 1850 was 630. It has 9 school districts.

Ameneoon, (Amican), River, a tributary of Lake Superior, next east of Sandy River, in La Pointe County.

Amherst, Town, in county of Portage, being towns 21, 22, 23, 24 and 25, in range 10, and 24 and 25 in range 9 E.

Apple, River 3 rises near the head of Duck Greek, and runs north-easterly into Fox River, 5 miles below Rapide de Croche, in Outagamie County.

Apple, River, a tributary of St. Croix River from the east, in St. Croix County, enters the same from the east, near the line between townships 30 and 31.

Appleton, P. V., and C. H., in Outagamie County, town of Grand Chute, on section 26, town 21 N., range 17 E. It is about 125 miles northeast from Madison. The Lawrence Institute is located at this place, and the surrounding country is very healthy and fertile. Population 800; 275 dwellings, 10 stores, 5 hotels, 4 saw mills, 1 flouring mill, 1 edge tool factory, 2 planing mills and a paper factory. It is situated on the Lower Fox River at the Grand Chute Rapids, 30 miles from Green Bay. Its hydraulic advantages are equal to any in the United States, the aggregate fall being 40 feet. It is in a direct line between Manitowoc on the Lake, and Stevens' Point on the Wisconsin, between which places a plank road is in process of construction.

Arena, Town, in the county of Iowa, being townships Nos. 7 and 8 N., of ranges 4 and 5 E.; centrally located, 20 miles northeast from Mineral Point, the county seat. It has 3 school districts. It is in an agricultural district, containing bottom lands of the first quality, sandy, but well watered. Settled originally by the British Temperance Emigration Society.

Arena, P. V., in town of same name, Iowa County, on the Wisconsin River, town 8 N., range 5 E.

Armitagers, Rapids, in Chippewa County, and on Chippewa River, in town 30 N, range 7 W.

Army, Lake, in town of East Troy, Walworth County, on section 16, town 4 N., range 18 E. It is named in compliment to the U. S. army, and is owned by Major H. W. Merrill, of the army. His farm, which includes the lake, contains 640 acres. The lake covers about 100 acres; is 28 miles southwest from Milwaukee, and is on the northwest quarter of the section. Its form is oval, beautifully curved and indented with small bays and promontories, and being supplied by springs it has no visible inlet. Its shores are elevated by gently rising banks, and bordered on all sides with a fine growth of forest trees.

Ashford, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 13 N, range 18 E.; centrally located, 15 miles southeast from the city of Fond du Lac. The population in 1850 was 546. It has 7 school districts.

Ashippun, Town, in county of Dodge, being town 9 N, range 17 E.; centrally located, 14 miles southwest from Juneau. It has 8 school districts.

Ashippun, P.O., in town of same name, in southwest corner of Dodge County.

Ashwabena, River, in Brown County, a small tributary of the Fox, emptying opposite to Depere.

Attanwa, River, a tributary from the east of St. Croix River, a few miles above the Falls of St. Croix.

Attica, P. V., in southwest corner of the town of Brooklyn, on Sugar River, Green County.

Attonowining, River, a tributary from the north of river St. Croix.

Auburn, P. O., Fond du Lac County, on section 18, of town of the same name, 14 miles southeast from Fond du Lac, and 90 miles northeast from Madison. It is situated on the Rubicon, the head waters of Milwaukee River, and has 1 store, 1 hotel, and 1 church.

Auburn, Town, in the county of Fond du Lac, being town 13 N., range 19 E.; centrally located, 18 miles southeast from Fond du Lac. The population is 400. It has 8 school districts.

Avoca, P. V., in Fond du Lac County, on section 13, town 14 N., range 16 E.

Avon, P. O., in town of same name, Bock County, on section 8, town 1 N., range 10 E.

Avon, Town, in the county of Rock, being town 1 N., of range 10 E.; centrally located 17 miles southwest from Janesville. The population in 1850 was 588. It has 7 school districts.

Aztalan, Town, in the county of Jefferson, being town 7 N., of range 14 E.; centrally located, 5 miles north from Jefferson, the county seat. The population in 1850 was 429. It has 8 school districts.

Aztalan, P. V., in Jefferson County, and town of same name, 7 miles northwest from Jefferson, and 28 miles east from Madison. It is on both sides of the Crawfish, on the direct road from Madison to Milwaukee. It contains 1 Baptist church, 3 denominations of Christians, 2 blacksmiths, 1 wagon-maker, 1 shoe shop, 1 fanning mill shop, brick yard, 1 saleratus factory, 3 stores, 2 hotels, 1 steam mill, 1 nursery of 150,000 trees, and an extensive stone quarry. In this town is situated the renowned "Ancient City," which comprises 30 acres of land. The city is surrounded by a brick wall, and is an object of antiquarian research. Population 250.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.