Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ D ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Dakotah, Town, in county of Waushara, being town 18 N., of range 10; centrally located, 10 miles west from Sacramento.

Dane, Town, in county of Dane, being town 9 N., of range 8 E.; centrally located, 15 miles northwest from Madison.

Dane, County, is bounded on the northwest by the Wisconsin River, by which it is separated from Sauk; on the north by Columbia, on the east by Dodge and Jefferson, south by Rock and Green, and west by Iowa. It was established from Milwaukee and Iowa, and attached to Iowa for judicial purposes December 7, 1836, and fully organized March 11, 1839. The seat of justice is at Madison, near the geographical centre of the county, and the Court House is the best in the State. Dane County contains about 1,250 square miles, mostly of good tillable land, and a fertile soil, well apportioned between woodland, openings and prairie, and is well adapted to grazing, and the raising of grain, roots and fruit. There is, in the county, considerable non-resident land which, can be bought on reasonable terms. One of the most attractive features of the county is its beautiful lakes of clear, pure cold water, originating in deep springs. The Catfish River forms the outlet of these lakes, and passes from the northwest to the southeast completely through the chain known as the Four Lakes. The county is connected with the second judicial circuit, the second congressional district, and constitutes the eleventh senate district. It is divided into assembly districts as follows:
1st. The towns of Dunkirk, Christians, Pleasant Springs and Albion.
2d. The towns of Cottage Grove, Deerfield, Sun Prairie, Medina, York and Bristol.
3d. The towns of Verona, Montrose, Oregon, Greenfield, Dunn and Rutland.
4th. The towns of Perry, Primrose, Blue Mounds, Springdale, Cross Plains, Middleton, Spring-field, Berry, Black Earth, Roxbury and Dane.
5th. The village and town of Madison, and the towns of Burk, Blooming Grove, Westport, Vienna and Windsor.
The county is watered by the Catfish and Sugar Rivers, and Black Earth, Badfish, Token, Waterloo and Koskonong creeks. The population in 1836 was Ebenezer Brigham; 1838, 172; 1840, 314; 1842, 8,289; 1847, 10,935; 1850, 16,654. Farms, 1,511; manufactories, 87; dwellings, 3,510. County Officers: County Judge, N. Bishop Eddy; Clerk of the Court, Charles Lumm; Sheriff, Willet S. Main; Register, John B. Sweat; Clerk of Board Supervisors, Gabriel Bjornsen; District Attorney, Samuel H. Roys; Treasurer, Philo Dunning; Surveyor, Russel Babbitt; Coroner, Andrew Bishop.

Darien, P. V., in town of same name, Walworth County.

Darien, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 2 N, of range 15 E.; centrally located, 10 miles southwest from Elkhorn, the county seat. The population in 1850 was 1,013. It has 8 school districts.

Dartford, P. V., in town of Brooklyn, the seat of justice of Marquette County, is located on the outlet of Green Lake, in the openings on section 21, town 16 N., of range 13 E.; 65 miles northeast from Madison. It contains about 400 temperate and industrious inhabitants. It is on the stage route from Milwaukee to Berlin and Plover, as also on the great western thoroughfare from Sheboygan and Fond du Lac. The climate ef this vicinity is very healthy. It has 58 dwellings, 5 store, 1 hotel, 4 mills, 5 mechanical shops, 1 church, and 3 organized religious denominations.

Dayton, Town, (formerly Middletown), in county of Marquette.

Dayton, Town, (formerly Embarrass), in northeast corner of the county of Waupacca. It was organized in the fall of 1852.

Dayton, Town, in county of Waushara, being town 21, of range 11.

Dead, Lake, in town 24 N., of range 14 W., in Chippewa County.

Dead, Lake, near Madison, in Dane County.

Death's, Door, the entrance from Lake Michigan to Green Bay, between Plum Island and the main land of Door County.

Decatur, P. V. in town of same name, in Green County.

Decatur, Town, in the county of Green, being town 2 N., of range 9; centrally located, southeast from Monroe, The population in 1850 was 558. It has 7 school districts.

Deer, Creek, a tributary from the northwest, rises in Waushara County, entering Mechan River in town 17 N., of range 9.

Deer, Creek, a small stream, entering Rock River about 2 miles above Fort Atkinson.

Deerfield, Town, in county of Dane, being town 7 N., of range 12 E.; centrally located, 16 miles east from Madison.

Deerfield, P. O., in Dane County, on section 9, town 7 N., of range 12 E.; 16 miles east from Madison, at Junction of Columbus and Janesville stage road with the great eastern mail route and thoroughfare from Galena to Milwaukee. It has 75 inhabitants, 13 dwellings, 2 stores, and 1 hotel; and is located in the vicinity of good timber, prairie and openings, and has excellent water. This place is well known as "Hyer's," in honor of D. R. Hyer, by whom it was settled in 1843, at which time he was the only settler within 6 miles.

Deer, Lake, is a small lake in the town of Harmony, Rock County.

Dekorra, Town, in county of Columbia, being town 11 N., of ranges 9 and 10 E.; centrally located, 10 miles from Portage city. The population in 1850 was 661. It has 8 school districts.

Dekorra, P. V., in Columbia County, on section 6, town 11 N, of range 9 E.; 6 miles south from Portage city, and 30 miles northwest from Madison. Its location is on the east side of the Wisconsin River, at the mouth of Rocky Run creek, and has 150 inhabitants, 45 dwellings, 2 stores, 2 hotels, 1 mill, and 1 Methodist church.

Dekorra, Mounds, in La Crosse County, on sections 3 and 4, town 18 N., of range 7 W., near Black River.

Delafield, Town, in county of Waukesha, being town 7 N., of range 18 E.; centrally located, 9 miles northwest from Waukesha. The population in 1850 was 1,134. It has 5 school districts.

Delafield, P. V., on Bark River, in town of same name in Waukesha County, on section 20. The former great western thoroughfare, from Milwaukee to Madison, passed through this place, but since the completion of the Watertown and Milwaukee plank road, which passes 2½ miles north, the village has lost, in a great degree, the activity and bustle that once characterized it. It has 2 good flouring mills, 1 machine shop, 4 stores, 3 hotels, 3 shoe shops, 3 blacksmiths, 2 cabinet and 2 wagon maker's shops.

Delavan, P. V., in town of same name, Walworth County, being on section 18. It is the seat of the Wisconsin Deaf and Dumb Institution; has an excellent flour mill with good hydraulic power, and one of the best nurseries in the State. It is 80 miles southeast from Madison.

Delavan, Town, in Walworth County, being town 2 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, 5 miles southeast from Elkhorn, the county seat. The population in 1850 was 1,260. It has 6 school districts.

Delayan, Lake, is in the southern part of the town of the same name. It is about three miles in length, and one in width, discharging its waters through its outlet into Turtle creek.

Delhi, P. V., in Winnebago County, on section 20, town 18, of range 20. It is located on the south side of Fox River, 19 miles northwest from Oshkosh and 80 miles northeast from Madison. Population 150; 40 dwellings, 3 stores, 1 hotel, and 2 mills.

Dell, Creek, a considerable tributary from the west, entering the Wisconsin River in the town of New Buffalo, Sauk County.

Dell, Creek, P. O., on creek of same name, in Sank County.

Dell, Prairie, a large prairie near the Dells of Wisconsin.

Dellona, P. O., Sauk County, in town of the same name, near center of town 13, of range 5 E.; 15 miles northerly from Baraboo, and 55 miles northwest from Madison. It is half-way between Reedsburg and Delton, being about 6 miles from each.

Dellona, Town, in Sauk County, being town 13 N., of range 5 E., The population is about 400.

Dells, in Chippewa River, in town 28, of range 9 W.

Dells, in Wisconsin River, in town 15 N., of range 5 E. The river passes between rocks, 300 feet high, for 8 miles.

Dellton, P. V., in Sauk County, in town of Deltona, on section 21, town 13 N., of range 6 E.; 10 miles northerly from Baraboo, and 50 miles from Madison. It is well situated on Dell creek, one and a half miles from its mouth into the Wisconsin. It has steamboat navigation with the Upper Mississippi, through the Wisconsin River, which is navigable to this point. It is also on the proposed route of the Milwaukee and La Crosse railroad. It has 140 inhabitants, 84 dwellings, S stores, 2 hotels, 2 churches, and 7 mechanical shops.

Deltona, Town, in county of Sauk, being town 18 N., of range 6 E.; centrally located, northwest from Baraboo. It has 6 school districts.

Denoon, P. V., Waukesha County, on the north line of Racine County, on section 32, town 5 N., of range 20 E. (Muskego), and section 5, town 4 N., of range 20 E. (Norway); 15 miles southeast from Waukesha, 25 miles northwest from Racine, and 80 miles southeast from Madison. It is located on the Milwaukee and Rochester plank road, 20 miles southwest from Milwaukee, on the east bank of Denoon Lake. Population 100; 10 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel, several mechanical shops, and 1 Lutheran church.

Depere, Rapids, on the Fox River, 7 miles above Green Bay. They are improved by a dam at Depere.

Depere, P. V. and C. H., in the county of Brown, in town 23 N., of range 21 E., 110 miles northeast from Madison. It was first settled A. D. 1672, and a small log church was built by the Jesuits. The first court house and jail in the State was erected here, also the first saw mill, which was built in 1824. It has a bridge and draw 2,500 feet long, across Fox River. It is the head of lake and foot of river navigation. It has a most beautiful and healthy location, being on both sides the river Neenah. Population 1,200; 400 dwellings, 10 stores, 4 hotels, 7 mills, 4 shingle factories, 2 extensive fisheries, yielding annually 1,500 barrels of fish; 2 churches, and 5 denominations.

Des Plains, River, in Kenosha County. See O'Plaine River.

Detour, River, is a small stream, entering Lake Superior east of Herron River.

Detroit, Island, is at the connection of Green Bay and Lake Michigan, south from Pottawattame Island. It is 4 miles long and half a mile wide.

Devil's, Chimney, so called, a natural curiosity, is situated near the village of Mount Vernon, in Dane County. It consists of a tall round arch about 20 feet in diameter and 125 feet high. The surrounding country being comparatively level.

Devil's, River, see East River, Brown County.

Dickerman's, Creek, rises in the south part of Nekimi, Winnebago County, and runs northeasterly into Lake Winnebago.

Dickey'sville, P. O., in Grant County, on section 22, town 2 1ST., of range 2 W., being in the town of Paris, 20 miles south from Lancaster, and 125 miles southwest from Madison, on the Galena and Mississippi stage route. Population 50, with 6 stores, 1 hotel, and 1 church.

Dodge, County, is bounded on the north by Marquette and Fond du Lac, on the east by Fond du Lac and Washington, on the south by Waukesha and Jefferson, and on the west by Dane and Columbia; and is 30 miles square. It was so named in honor of General Dodge, first Governor of the territory, and was set off from Brown, December 7, 1836, to which it remained attached for judicial purposes until January 13, 1840, when it was organized for county purposes, and its judicial connection changed to Jefferson. It was fully organized Jan 20, 1844. The seat of justice is at the village of Juneau, formerly known as Dodge Centre. The surface of the country, west of Rock River, is diversified with openings, prairie, and good hay marsh; and the soil being good, it is well adapted to the raising of wheat and the summer grains, and to grazing. East of the river it is timbered with a heavy growth of maple and other hard woods, and the soil produces the grain crop with equal advantage with the other side, while it is more naturally adapted to the growth of the cultivated grasses. Near the banks of Rock River are beds of iron ore, which are success, fully worked. Dodge county forms a part of the third judicial circuit, and of the third congressional district, and constitutes the twenty-second senate district. It is divided into six assembly districts, as follows:
1. Towns of Leroy, Lomyra, Williamstown and Theresa.
2. Towns of Hubbard, Hermon, Hustisford and Rubicon.
3. Towns of Emmet, Lebanon and Ashippun.
4. Towns of Elba, Lowell, Clyman, Portland and Shields.
5. Towns of Fox Lake, Trenton, Westford, Calamus and Beaver Dam.
6. Towns of Chester, Burnette and Oak Grove.
It is watered by the Crawfish, Rock and Beaver Dam Rivers, and their tributaries. The population in 1838 was 18; 1840, 67; 1842,149; 1846,7,787; 1847,14,905; and 1850, 19,140. Dwellings, 3,561; farms, 2,338; manufactories, 30. County Officers: County Judge, S. L. Rose; Sheriff, Benj. Ferguson; Clerk of Court, J. B. Ribble; Register of Deeds, N. Juneau; Clerk of Board of Supervisors, E. Sweeney; County Treasurer, L. Merz.

Dodge Centre, see Juneau.

Dodge's, Branch, of the Peckatonnica River, rises near Dodgeville, Iowa County and runs southerly through the eastern portion of Iowa and Lafayette Counties, entering the Peckatonnica in the southeast corner of Wyota, Lafayette County.

Dodgeville, Town, in the county of Iowa.

Dodgeville, P. V., in town of same name, being on section 84. The village contains about 100 inhabitants, mostly miners, (English and Welsh.) There are 3 churches, 9 stores, and 1 smelting furnace. The country surrounding is well adapted to farming, and is well watered.

Dougherty, River, rises in York, Green County, and runs south-west, entering the Peckatonnica, in the south part of the town of Argyle, Lafayette County.

Douglass, Creek, a small branch from the north, in town 19 N., of range 5 W.

Douglass, Harbor, on the western shore of Lake Michigan, in town 80, Door County.

Door, County, is located between Green Bay and Lake Michigan, and is bounded on the north and east by the State line of Michigan, on the south by Kewaunee, and on the west by Oconto. It was set off from Brown, February 11, 1851. It then included the present county of Kewaunee, and was attached to Manitowoc for judicial government. The county seat was established at Gibralter, on Gibralter Bay, here-to-fore known as Bailey's Harbor, on the west shore of Lake Michigan, in town 30 N., of range 28 E. Door County is for legislative and county purposes, in connection with Brown County. It has several small streams emptying into the Bay and into Lake Superior.

Door, Creek, Dane County, rises in Sun Prairie, and runs south, emptying into First Lake.

Door Creek, P. O., is on Liberty Prairie, in town of Cottage Grove, county of Dane, on section 33, town 7 N., of range 11 E. It is 11 miles east of south from Madison, and contains 1 store, 1 hotel, and Methodist and Presbyterian Congregations.

Doty's, Island, is between the villages of Menasha and Neenah, in Lake Winnebago, at its outlet. It contains about 750 acres of land, the residence of Governor Doty.

Doty's, River, a small tributary of Rock River, which it enters, in the north part of Dodge County.

Dotyville, P. V., in town of Forest, Fond du Lac County, on sections 13 and 14.

Dover, Town, in county of Racine, being town 3 N., of range 20 E.; centrally located, 16 miles west of Racine. The population in 1850 was 840. It has 5 school districts.

Dover, P. V., on section 24, town of same name, in Iowa County, 33 miles northeast from Mineral Point, and 27 northwest from Madison. The location is near the junction of the Blue Mound and Black Earth Rivers, 2 miles above the Wisconsin, at the crossing of the western thoroughfare to the pinery, and the eastern thoroughfare from Richland County. Population 100; with 20 dwellings, 2 stores, 1 hotel, 1 flouring mill, a school house, mechanics of nearly all kinds, and several religious denominations.

Duck, Creek, Columbia County, rises in the northeast corner of the county, and running southwest, enters the Wisconsin about 3 miles below the Portage.

Duck Creek, is the outlet of Golden Lake, on the line between Waukesha and Jefferson Counties, and empties into Bark River about half way between Palmyra and Fort Atkinson.

Duck, Lake, Walworth County, see Como Lake.

Duck, River, (or Duck Creek of Green Bay), rises in the north-west corner of the town of Kaukauna, and runs northeast parallel to the Neenah, through the Oneida Reservation, entering Green Bay a few miles below the mouth of the Neenah.

Dundas, P. O., in Calumet County.

Dunkirk, Town, in county of Dane, being town 5 N., of range 11 E.; centrally located, 16 miles southeast from Madison. It has 7 school districts.

Dunkirk Falls, Rapids, in the Catfish River, in which the descent is 6 feet, in a distance of little over a mile.

Dunn, Town, in county of Dane, being town 6 N., of range 10 E.; centrally located, 8 miles southeast from Madison. The population in 1850 was 288. It has 6 school districts.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.