Part of the American History and Genealogy Project

Wisconsin Gazetteer ~ E ~

Wisconsin Gazetteer, Containing the names, location, and advantages, of the Counties, Cities, Towns, Villages, Post Offices, and Settlements, together with a description of the Lakes, Water Courses, Prairies, and Public Localities, in the State of Wisconsin. Alphabetically arranged.

Notice. Names and descriptions prepared too late for their proper place, will be found in the Appendix.

Abbreviations
L, Lake Pr., Prairie
P.O. Post Office P. V. Post Village
R, River T, Town
V, Village
CH., Court House, or County Seat

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Eagle, Town, in the county of Waukesha, being town 15 N, of range 17 E.; centrally located, 18 miles southwest from Waukesha. The population in 1850 was 816. It has 6 school districts.

Eagle, Bay, a bay of Green Bay, about 16 miles northeast from Sturgeon Bay, extending easterly into Door County.

Eagle, Creek, rises in the northwest corner of Richland County, and running southeast enters the Wisconsin, near the fourth principal meridian.

Eagle, Creek, a small tributary of the Mississippi, near range line between ranges 11 and 12 east.

Eagle, Harbor, western part of Eagle Bay of Green Bay, Door County.

Eagle, Lake, is about a mile and a half long, near the centre of the town of Dover, in Racine County.

Eagle, Mills, on Eagle creek, about two miles above its mouth.

Eagle Point, Town, in county of Portage, being all of same, west of range 5.

Eagle, Prairie, a large prairie in the southwest part of town of same name, in Waukesha County, on which is located a depot of the Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad.

Eagleville, P. O., in the southeast corner of the town of Eagle, on section 25, in Waukesha County.

East Branch, of the Peckatonica River. See Dodge's branch.

East Branch, of the Menomonee River of Milwaukee, which it enters from the west, in the town of Granville.

East Fork, Creek, the northeastern branch of Grant River, rises in Wingville, Grant County and runs southwesterly, through Lancaster, into that river in Beetown.

East River (Manitoo or Devil's), Brown County, rises in the south part of the county, running parallel, on the east, to Fox River, into which it empties about two miles below the village of Green Bay.

East Troy, P. V., Walworth County, on sections 19, 20, 29 and 80, in town of same name, 12 miles northeast from Elkhorn and 73 miles southeast from Madison. It is a beautiful inland village, in a good farming district, 85 miles southwest from Milwaukee, and 33 miles northwest from Racine. Population 400, with 75 dwellings, 5 stores, 2 hotels, 2 mills, several mechanical shops, a Baptist, Presbyterian and Methodist denomination.

East Troy, Town, in county of Walworth, being town 4 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 13 miles southeast from Elkhorn. The population in 1850 was 1,318. It has 7 school districts.

Eau Plaine, P. V., on Wisconsin River, at Dubay's trading post at the mouth of Little O'Plaine, in northern part of Portage County.

Eden, Town, in the county of Fond du Lac, being town 14 N, of range 18 E.; centrally located, 10 miles southeast from Fond du Lac. The population in 1850 was 840. It has 8 school districts.

Eden, P. O., in same town, Fond du Lac County.

Eight Mile, Creek, rises in the town of Nekimi, Winnebago County, and runs westerly into the outlet of Kush lake.

Elba, P. O., in town of same name, Dodge County.

Elba, Town, in the county of Dodge, being town 10 N., of range 13 E.; centrally located, 12 miles southwest from Juneau. The population in 1850 was 1,548. It has 7 school districts.

El Dorado, Town, in the county of Fond du Lac, being town 16 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, 7 miles northwest from Fond du Lac. The population in 1850 was 504.

El Dorado, P. O., in town of same name, Fond du Lac County.

Elk, P. O., in Bad Ax County.

Elk, River, a branch from the north, of Chippewa River, rises in town 26 N., of range 11 W.

Elkhart, Lake (Big), in the town of Rhine, Sheboygan County, on sections 29 and 30 of town 16 25T., of range 21 E.

Elkhart, Lake (little), on sections 33 and 34, of town 16, of range 81 E.

Elkhart, P. V., Sheboygan County, on section 31, in the town of Rhine, town 16 N., of range 21 east, 20 miles northwest from Sheboygan.

Elkhorn, P. V., and C. H., Walworth County, on section 36, town 8 N., of range 13 E., at the geographical center of the county. It is in town of same name, 65 miles southeast from Madison. Population 250, with 60 dwellings, 4 stores, 2 hotels, steam mill, various mechanical shops, and 4 religious denominations.

Elkhorn, Town, in county of Walworth, comprising section 1, town 2 N., of section 36 of town 3, range 16 E., and section 6, of town 2, and section 31 of town 3 N., of range 17 E. It is the county seat. The population is 600.

Ellenboro, P. V., Grant county, on section 28, in the town of Highland, town 4 N., of range 2 W.; 7 miles southeast from Lancaster, and 95 miles southwest from Madison. It is located on Platte River, about half way between Platteville and Lancaster, on the mail route from Galena to the Upper Mississippi, and is in a good farming district, with excellent water power, with considerable vacant land, and unimproved hydraulic power. Population 51, 7 dwellings, 1 store, 1 hotel,, 2 mills, and a blacksmith and carpenter's shop.

Ellenboro, Town, (recently south half of Highland), in county of Grant, being town 4 K, of range 2 W.; centrally located 8. miles southeast from Lancaster.

Ellington, P. V., in county of Outagamie, on section 20, of town 22 N., of range 16 E.; 13 miles northwest from Grand Chute, 130 miles northeast from Madison. It is located on the road from Green Bay (36 miles) to Plover Portage (70 miles). It is 28 miles from Oshkosh, and 35 miles from Lake Shawanaw. Population 150, with 35 dwellings, 2 mills, 2 hotels and several religious denominations.

Ellington, Town, in county of Outagamie, being towns 23 and 24 N., of range 16 E.; centrally located, 20 miles northwest from Grand Chute. It has 3 school districts.

Embarrass, Town, in county of Waupacca, being towns 28, 34 and 25 N., of range 14 E.; centrally located, north from Mukwa.

Embarrass, River, see Bad or Mannaise River of La Pointe County.

Emerald Grove, P. V., in town of Bradford, Rock County.

Emmet, P. O., in town of same name, Dodge County.

Emmet, Town, in county of Dodge, being town 9 N., of range 15 E.; centrally located, 12 miles south from Juneau. The population in 1 850 was 1,207. It has 7 school districts.

Empire, Town, in county of Fond du Lac, being town 15 N., range 18 E.; centrally located, 6 miles southeast from Fond du Lac.

English, Lake, a small lake in the northwest corner of town 18 K, of range 23 E.

Erin, Town, in county of Washington, being town 9 N, of range 18 E.; centrally located, 26 miles southwest from Ozaukee. The population in 1850 was 849. It has 5 school districts.

Ervandigo, River, a tributary, from the north, of St. Croix River, in La Pointe County.

Eureka, P. V., in Winnebago County, on section 28, town 18 N., range 14 E., in town of Rushford, 16 miles west from Oshkosh, and 70 miles northeast from Madison. It is beautifully situated on the southern shore of Fox River, surrounded by a rich farming country, and possesses plenty of lime stone, sand, clay and timber, for building purposes. The settlement was first commenced in 1850. Population 70, with 14 dwellings, 2 stores, 1 hotel, 1 mill, and various mechanical shops.

Evansville, P. V., on Allen's creek, section 27, town 4 N., range 10 E., in Rock County, 18 miles northwest from Janesville, and 23 miles southeast from Madison. It has a population of about 200 temperate and industrious people, with 25 dwellings, 2 stores, 1 hotel, 2 mills, 1 machine, 1 wagon, 1 shoe, and 1 blacksmith's shop; 1 meeting house, and two religious denominations, and a large and commodious school house. The Madison and Beloit railroad is located through this place.

Everflowing, River, a tributary from the north of the St. Croix River, in the western part of La Pointe County.

Exeter, P. V., Green County, on section 33 of town of same name, being town 4 N., of range 8 E., 16 miles northeast from Monroe, and 24 miles southwest from Madison. Population 105, with 22 dwellings, 2 stores, 2 hotels, and 6 religious denominations. The principal occupation of the inhabitants is mining.

Exeter, Town, in the county of Green, being town 4N., of range 8; centrally located, 15 miles northeast from Monroe. The population in 1850 was 450. It has 6 school districts.

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y

Source: Wisconsin Gazetteer,  By John Warren Hunt. Madison: Beriah Brown, Printer, 1853

Back to Wisconsin

 


AHGP

Back to AHGP

This web page was last updated.

Copyright August @2011 -  AHGP - Judy White
For the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved.